Dallas was transformed into an ice skating rink this morning. It was 12 degrees when I woke up and EVERYTHING was coved in ice. I decided I would venture off to work though however, once stepping outside, I felt more like a Californian than a Texan. How was I supposed to turn my car popsicle into a drivable vehicle? When I knew I wanted to leave in 10 minutes, I went outside to turn on my cars heat and defroster so it would be ready when I needed to leave. The only problem was my door could not be opened. It was literally frozen shut. Being the smart college grad that I am, I began stabbing away at my car with my key. I couldn’t even move the door handle. I had to stab away at the whole outline of my door to get it open and nearly froze my fingers off. By the time I was actually ready to leave, it looked like no progress had been made on my car. I saw the frozen window and thought to myself “My mom taught me a trick to get this stuff off!” So I whipped out my trusty credit card and was ready to attack my windshield. This is where my Californian brain didn’t connect to the Texas weather. Apparently California Frost and Texas Ice are not one in the same. My wind shield laughed at my little credit card scraper. Needless to say, it took me a lot longer to leave than I had planned.Once on the road, I drove a constant 20mph all the way to work. Everything looked like it was going in slow motion. Typically, the road I take to work is 55mph and today everyone was going between 15-20mph. It was just weird. I got to work safely though. The only minor hiccup was the front of my car getting caught on the ice and sliding my car into the slope of a storm drain and into the curb. It was all slow though and I managed to get back onto the road and continue on my way.
Lesson of the day…frost does not equal ice.
No comments:
Post a Comment